What is Java?
- Java is a general purpose, high-level programming language developed by Sun Microsystems.
- Java is an object-oriented programming language originally developed by Sun Microsystems and released in 1995.
- Java programs are platform independent.
- Java code that runs on one platform does not need to be recompiled to run on another platform.
- Java Virtual Machine(JVM) executes java code. It is not written in Java and hence cannot be platform independent and Java interpreter is actually a part of JVM.
Where is Java being Used?
It was only used to design and program small computing devices but later adopted as one of the platform-independent programming languages. The most important feature of Java is its byte code that can be interpreted on any platform including Windows, Linux, etc.
Like PHP and ASP, Java Server Pages based on a code with normal HTML tags, which helps in creating dynamic web pages.
Java is available in a different form :
- Java Applets
- Mobile Java